Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cute Petite Calzones

IMG_2552

I felt like a “comfort” meal tonight. Why? Because it was 50 degrees this morning when I went out the door. 50! Weren’t the temperatures just in the 90’s?

I made a pot of pumpkin spice coffee and drank it HOT. Mark it. It’s my first hot coffee since the spring.

So there I was, decided on “comfort” food, yet I had these heirloom tomatoes kicking around. Hmmm. And then I saw a recipe for calzones. With blue cheese. And spinach. Sounds good to me. But I made changes. I used tomatoes instead of onions and mushrooms. I didn’t have an onion and I forgot to add the mushrooms. But I did like the pre-made dough part. That part I kept.

IMG_2554

This is one of those premade pizza dough rolls you find in the dairy case. Mine was a little mutant so I had to do minor surgery. A pizza cutter works wonders.

Cut it into quarters. Sprinkle on some chopped garlic. Again, laziness prevailed and I used the jarred stuff.

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet or use parchment paper as I did. Mostly because I was afraid of the disaster that might occur if I tried to move my calzones.

 

IMG_2555

On top of the squares put tomatoes (I diced ‘em), spinach and blue cheese crumbles. Fold in corners so that they meet in the middle. Aren’t they adorable?

From here on out I will call them: cute petite calzones. Because that’s what they are.

Transfer them to your pan (if you didn’t assemble them on one) and pop in preheated oven for about 12 minutes.

Pour yourself a glass of beer. Oh wait, that’s what I did…

IMG_2556

 

Narragansett Fest. In a fancy glass. It’s alright. Described as a beer to celebrate “Oktoberfest”, it has a slight sweetness.

And who doesn’t love a beer that comes in 16 ounce cans? Cans that are orange. It’s Thursday. I’m allowed.

You can’t even drink 16 ounces of beer in the 12 minutes it takes to cook cute petite calzones. It’s great.

 

 

IMG_2562 After a very short 12 minutes, you have this beauty. I mean cutie. So tasty and light yet comforting at the same time. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes (if you like) and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum, these look good. I am still holding out for the fall temperatures where I live since it is still in the high 90's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty simple and I bet they taste great. This is ideal for a working mother like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good. Hey, I have a great Sunday foodie blog hop, and these are perfect for the group. I think they would enjoy the recipe. If you are interested, the link is http://cocinadiary.blogspot.com/2010/09/sundays-at-one-where-my-love-for-food.html

    angie

    ReplyDelete