Friday, August 13, 2010

Maine or, bust?

So, I’m just going to whine for a few and then I’ll be done with it. Tomorrow marks my first day of vacation, which I’m thrilled about. I’m also supposed to be leaving tomorrow for Maine to visit my family and some friends. But my car is not cooperating with that plan. They key will not turn in the ignition. What?! So my car is currently sitting at the dealership awaiting a diagnostic test which will hopefully reveal a minor problem that can be fixed quickly. And I can get on the road early relatively early.

IMG_2401 IMG_2402 IMG_2403

Puppy masks his disappointment by napping.

To take my mind off my present undesirable situation, I decided to make Key Lime Bars with a Coconut Crumble Crust. These were so easy, delicious and a perfect solution to using up my lime before I leave.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, (I used butter spread)
1 cup golden brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice
Zest of 1 lime

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with PAM. In a bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until everything comes together in a crumbly mixture and flour is evenly distributed. Mix in oats and coconut. In another    bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest. Use about 3/4 of crust mixture to coat bottom of pan. Press firmly so it's an even depth. Pour lime mixture on top and spread evenly. Crumble remaining oat mixture over the top of the lime mixture, covering it completely. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.

Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

IMG_2399

No comments:

Post a Comment