Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gnu Bars – Flavor & Fiber

DSC05951This post has been a long time coming. About a month ago, Gnu Foods, sent me a box of their Gnu bars. They boast, “flavor & fiber: together at last”. Overall, they have pretty good nutritional stats…

  • 12g of fiber per bar
  • only 130-140 calories
  • made with whole grains
  • made with organic  whole wheat & kamut flours
  • Vegan
  • Dairy & Soy free

They come in 7 flavors (they sent me 2 of each flavor to sample*): Banana Walnut, Cinnamon Raisin, Chocolate Brownie, Orange Cranberry, Peanut Butter, Espresso Chip and Lemon Ginger. Now that I’ve sampled them all, it’s hard work I tell ya, I feel able to tell you what I like (and what I don’t).

My faves: Banana Walnut, Cinnamon Raisin, Peanut Butter

So-so: Orange Cranberry, Lemon Ginger

Ick: Chocolate Brownie, Espresso Chip

Clearly these are my opinions and let it be known I’m not the biggest fan of chocolate bars anyway… I’d definitely recommend trying them. They umm, taste good & do their job, if you get what I mean. What I mean is, all that fiber fills you up! According to the information they sent me, they are currently sold at The Vitamin Shoppe and other select grocery stores (including Whole Foods).

DSC05907 DSC05949 This morning I crumbled up half of a Cinnamon Raisin Bar and put it on top of my pumpkin yogurt (1/3 cup organic plain non-fat yogurt, 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice). Delish!

DSC05952

*These product samples were supplied to me at no cost, the opinions in this review are all mine and I received no compensation.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't done the gnu bar thing yet. I'm a tried and true larabar girl at heart. Maybe I'll give them a shot! Cinnamon raisin sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep passing these by at Whole Foods... maybe I'll pick a pack up the next time I'm in!

    ReplyDelete