Friday, November 5, 2010

Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies

Have I ever mentioned how much I detest peeling vegetables? Probably not. It really hasn’t been an issue here before. Last time I was visiting my parents I told my mom I don’t eat potatoes often because I hate peeling them. She sent me home with a peeler. Gee thanks. I still hate peeling vegetables.

food2 018Stirring? I can do that. Pressing the button on the food processor? I’m a pro. But anything that involves peeling, grating or the likes, I just hate doing. Do I do it? Of course. I love potatoes and cheese and I do what I gotta do for the things I love.

food2 019But sometimes I curse a lot when I’m doing said peeling and grating. For the record, peeling a single carrot for these cookies has left me with an orange left hand. The dog ran in my room and hid from me. It must have been the yelping and confetti like shreds of carrot flying through the air. Second thought, it was probably the yelping. The angry grunting. 

food2 021 And I don’t love carrots. So my dedication and determination to including them in their namesake cookie was pretty tremendous. For clarification, carrots are okay in things when they are the thing. Is that still vague? Further explanation. I can eat them raw WITH hummus or dip. I can eat them cooked WITH seasoning/butter/glaze. By themselves… ick.

food2 024 The idea of a cookie for breakfast is such a happy idea. Don’t you think so? I couldn’t even wait til breakfast to try one. It’s that quality control I always speak of. They passed. I’ll save the other 7 for breakfast. Tomorrow’s breakfast.

food2 026I picked a small one to try. Because it was 7 pm and not breakfast time. Long story short… if you hate peeling things, grating things, etc. make these. You won’t regret it. They are worth it. Even if more carrot ends up on your floor and in your hair and on your clothes than in your measuring cup.

Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies

1 cup flour (I used 1/2 cup AP and 1/2 cup WW)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup natural applesauce (or 1/3 cup vegetable oil)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 cup oats, old fashioned
2/3 cup shredded or grated carrots
1/3 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside

In a large bowl, mix together the apple sauce, granulated sugar, dark brown sugar and vanilla. When well mixed, add the egg and beat for another 20-30 seconds. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and stir until flour is absorbed. Stir in oats, carrots, coconut and almonds.

Using a ¼ cup measure, scoop up big mounds of dough.

Place on ungreased or Silpat or parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 8 big cookies

3 comments:

  1. The first time I made carrot cake cupcakes, I had to grate about 6 carrots. It was a disaster. I'm pretty sure I got carpal tunnel syndrome. Oy.

    These cookies definitely look worth it though! I'll take any excuse to eat cookies for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind grating vegetables, but even if I did, these cookies look like they'd be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shan, you can buy preshredded carrots next time.Going to try these today.

    ReplyDelete