I was thinking about this soup all day. The idea came to me when I thought about the Buffalo Sweet Potato Pizza I made awhile back. Why not soup? And how about I top it off with some blue cheese crumbles?
But then, something happened. I came home from the gym and
got super distracted became terribly busy. I had sort of already committed to making something with sweet potatoes because I had put them in the oven to bake. Then, despite the time, I told myself to stick with the plan and make my soup.
Buffalo Sweet Potato Soup
- About 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1.5 c vegetable broth
- 1.5 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 c Frank’s Buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance (optional)
- 1 jalapeno (chopped, seeds removed)
- Blue cheese crumbles
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place sweet potatoes on rack and bake until centers are soft (about 45 mins). Remove from oven, let them cool then peel skins. After peeling, mash potatoes.
2. Add mashed potatoes to food processor with tbsp of Earth Balance (or butter or neither). Turn on processor and gradually add broth, hot sauce and milk to soup.
3. Check for desired texture. I did this many times as I wanted it smooth but not too liquidy.
4. Add chopped jalapeno and process for a bit longer.
5. Warm up soup in soup pan for a few minutes. (Or you could use an immersion blender and eliminate this step entirely.)
6. Pour into bowls and garnish with plenty of blue cheese on top.
Oh, and I want to share what I was distracted by…