Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pea and Sausage Risotto

DSC06777__sharpshot_active_Version1

My roommate’s last graduate school class is tomorrow night. Therefore, Thursday has been coined the beginning of our “operation bombshell”. Have no fear, that essentially means we won’t allow ourselves to eat 2 dozen Chocolate Chip Buckwheat Cookies in 2 days. Though if you decide to make them, good luck not eating at least 5 straight out of the oven. Since I’m not taking any classes this semester, I’m merely sympathy snacking. I don’t want her to feel bad for eating more cookies than me, you know? I’m a good friend like that.

We might even get crazy and shake the dust off of Jillian’s Yoga Meltdown. The two times we did it were pretty entertaining. Or I may just stick to the gym. Catching up on world news while I get my sweat on is more my style. And my attention span stinks. I need people and things to look at to pass the time. We’ll see.

What I’m getting at is that this risotto dish was incredible easy, reasonably nutritious (I know, I know… there is SAUSAGE in it) and modifiable. Soy Sausage or chicken sausage could easily replace the Hot Italian Sausage I used. I also used very little oil and mostly water to cook the risotto. And because it was so tasty, I won’t omit it from my “operation bombshell” menu. Whatever that means.

DSC06768__sharpshot_active_Version1

{Pea and Sausage Risotto}

Inspired by Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 links hot italian sausage (I used 3 leftover links… already cooked)
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 T chipotle olive oil
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 t dried basil
  • 3/4 arborio rice
  • 4 c vegetable broth (I used 1/2 c veg. broth with 3 1/2 water)
  • 1 c frozen peas
  • salt and pepper
  • freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving

If your sausages are uncooked, brown them in a skillet over medium heat. If you wish, you may break them apart and cook crumbles. I chose to slice mine.

In a large sauce pan, saute onion in olive oil. When tender, add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add rice and basil and cook for several minutes. Continue to stir often.

Add about 1/2 c broth and bring to simmer. As rice absorbs broth, add more at about 1/2 c at a time. When you have about 1 c of broth remaining, add in cooked sausage and frozen peas. Add remaining broth until absorbed.

Taste test risotto to make sure rice is tender and not undercooked. Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

DSC06762__sharpshot_active_Version1

7 comments:

  1. Chipotle olice oil? Now that's just unfair - I can't even find chipotle chillies here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I think I need to get in on this operation bombshell action. Mostly because I would like to be a bombshell or at least have a semi beach-friendly body by the time summer really rolls around. Plus if this risotto is on the menu...I'm all in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I heart risotto (making some for mother's day lunch this weekend!).

    I feel ya' on the "operation bombshell." I'm getting married in 3 months (EEK!) and really want to take off a couple pounds. Salads, healthy proteins, and the occasional bowl of risotto, here I come!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. My roommate got it at a specialty shop in New Hampshire or Maine, it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you looked gorge in the shots of your fashion show so you will be a stunning bride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll make you a big bowl... with vegetarian sausage :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh this risotto looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete