Thursday, December 23, 2010

Brussels Fiesta

DSC06170

If you asked me 15 years ago what I thought of Brussels sprouts I would have made a disgusted face accompanied with a gagging sound. Truth be told, if you asked me not too long ago, I probably would have responded which much the same reaction.  It wasn’t until recently when I started to re-introduce foods I used to dislike into my diet that I found out I didn’t hate Brussels sprouts.

I’ve seen different dishes using Brussels sprouts crop up around the blog world lately, so when I saw a good deal on them at Whole Foods the other day, I decided to give them a shot. One of the ways I had seen them prepared was chopped in the food processor and then sautéed. I decided to do something similar with mine but at the same time, using them to create a “slaw” of sorts. Enter one cup of plain Greek yogurt (Chobani is my fave) and 1/2 a packet of…

DSC06169 Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch Dip Mix! This stuff is SO good. I can’t tell you how many sleepovers this dip mix was a part of. Typically we’d mix it with sour cream and dip tortilla chips in it. Y-U-M!

I mixed about 1/2 the package in with the CHO and mixed the “dip” with the chopped Brussels sprouts (and grated carrots). Right before that, I had lightly sautéed the Brussels sprouts with a TBSP of butter to soften them up. After they cooled and were mixed with the Fiesta Ranch Dip, I squeezed in about a TBSP of lemon juice. I added a good size helping of my “slaw” on top of a bed of baby Romaine and cherry tomatoes.

DSC06172 I grated some pepper-jack on top and sprinkled on a bit of smoked Paprika and went to town. It was SO good! There was still great crunch and the slaw was nice and light yet had a great tang from the yogurt and a bit of spice from the Fiesta Ranch Dip Mix. WANT MORE NOW!

***On a side note, I apologize for my infrequent posts as of late. I am still having SERIOUS computer issues. Just about every time I turn my lap-top on, something else has gone caput on me. Let’s just cross our fingers there’s something under the tree on Saturday that can remedy this issue Winking.

‘Til next time folks!

2 comments:

  1. I love realizing that I actually like healthy foods that I once thought I hated. It just amps up the repertoire of things I can eat! Love love love brussels sprouts! Need to find that dip...

    Sorry about the computer issues! Here's to hoping that you get something to remedy them tomorrow (ahem Santa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just found your blog. I used to hate eating Brussels sprouts too but actually like it now after tasting my friend's pecan with maple Brussels sprouts. I tried to cook it my version but my hubby and kids still think it's the worst tasting vegetable on the planet. Oh well hopefully I found a recipe so that they will change their mind. :)

    ReplyDelete