Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lemon-Mint Orzo

orzo

If this dish doesn’t say “Spring”…

The other night I wanted to make something light using ingredients from my pantry and refrigerator. I always have lemons on hand and then I remembered I had mint leftover from the eggplant dip I made the other night. A scan of the pantry located a box of orzo and I found a hunk of parmesan in the cheese drawer.

Though pretty simple, it was a delicious dish bursting with flavor from the lemon and parmesan. The mint was subtle but detectable and really pulled the dish together. I will be making this again as it was a perfect light dinner for a warm night but had all of the properties of my ideal comfort food (namely, pasta & cheese).

{Lemon-Mint Orzo}

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 c. Orzo (dry)
  • 1 Lemon, zest and juice
  • 2 t. Olive Oil
  • 2 T. Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 c. Parmesan, grated
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste

Cook Orzo according to package instructions, drain and transfer to serving bowl.

Add juice from one lemon, zest from one lemon and olive oil to Orzo. Mix-in grated parmesan. Gently fold in chopped mint until well distributed.

Top with shaved parmesan cheese, if desired. Season to taste.

*Serves 3-4 as a main, 4-6 as a side.

orzo3

4 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Almost everything I've eaten in the past two days has been sweet, so the savoury simplicity of this sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I could eat lemon-flavored food every day, all the time, and never get bored of it. Especially pasta. Love the simplicity of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so good! I love lemon with pasta, so fresh and delicious. Yay spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, perfect for a Spring or Summer picnic! Love that napkin too, pretty print.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete