Monday, July 19, 2010

Not your average potato salad

I've been meaning to post about the wonderful potato salad I made 4th of July weekend. As I'm not a huge fan of the traditional, mayonnaise laden kind, I was super thrilled to find a recipe that was completely different. The recipe also calls for red potatoes, which I absolutely love, so that was another major win.

Here's the recipe:
Dilled Potato Salad With Feta (adapted from Southern Living)

Ingredients:
2 lbs unpeeled small size red potatoes
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 tablespoons fresh or 1 tablespoon dried dill (I used dried because that's what I had on hand)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 large Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 (4 ounce) package of crumbled feta cheese
Optional: 1 cucumber, cut lengthwise & sliced (I omitted because I don't care for cucumber)

Making it:
Bring potatoes and water to boil. Reduce heat (to prevent overcooking and boil overs) and cover. Cook 25 minutes or just until they are tender. Check with a fork. Drain and cool the potatoes. When they are still slightly warm, you may go ahead and cut them into quarters.

While the potatoes are "cooling". Whisk together the vinegar, oil, dill and salt and pepper. Pour over the quartered potatoes while they are still slightly warm.

Stir in the chopped pepper and green onions, add the feta and toss of mix gently with a spoon to combine the flavors. Cover and let chill in the fridge for a few hours. Enjoy!

*Give it another gentle stir just before serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment