Thursday, July 29, 2010

Full of Falafel

I had falafel last week for the first time in many moons. It brought me back to my stay in Florence, Italy back in 2005 while I was studying there. Near the center of the city, hidden down a little cobblestone street, I discovered falafel for the first time. I enjoyed it so much, I would go there at least once a week and get a falafel wrap to go and savor it on my walk home.

Since having the delicious falafel, I have been wanting to re-create it at home. I was browsing recipes for falafel and found one that sounded easy, healthy (baked rather than fried) and would be great on top of the salad I planned on making for my dinner. I was happy to also discover that I had the most crucial ingredients in my pantry at home and whatever I did not, I could modify.

This particular recipe is based on the Falafel Pita Pockets, published by Hungry-Girl.

Fantastic Falafel (makes about 15 balls)

1 can chick peas (well drained)

1/4 whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp lime juice

1 chopped onion

Several chopped scallions

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1.5 tbsp minced garlic

1 tsp dried parsley flakes

1 tsp dried cilantra

Salt and Pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix everything together in a bowl and using a potato masher, mash it all up until it’s still somewhat chunky, yet mixed well.IMG_2308  IMG_2309IMG_2311Using a spoon, form balls and place on cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.

IMG_2313  Spray the tops of the balls again with the cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until browned on both sides.

IMG_2314I enjoyed mine on top of a salad of greens, cherry tomatoes and feta… all topped with a splash of red wine vinegar!

No comments:

Post a Comment