Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Blueberry Morning

I love blueberries. I love them in pancakes. I love them in fruit salads. I love them on cereal. I love them all by themselves.

Spying a package of blueberries in the refrigerator this morning, I decided that a warm blueberry muffin would be awesome on this perfect summer day. The humidity has subsided, Boston is supposed to stick around the 80 degree mark, and there is a refreshing breeze coming in through my windows. So refreshing in fact, Griffy has parked himself in his spot on top of the couch and is basking in the sun and sighing with delight.IMG_2327

These muffins couldn’t be easier to make AND they are GOOD FOR YOU!

Blueberry-licious Muffins (Makes 1/2 dozen)

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup light vanilla soymilk (or almond milk… I’ve used both)
1/4 cup sugar-free pancake syrup
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
1/4 cup Splenda (granulated)
3 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
2 tbsp. no-sugar-added applesauce 
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together (but not your blueberries!). Mix wet ingredients & butter together with a whisk or hand-mixer. Add dry stuff to wet stuff (I’m so technical) and stir until mixed. Gently fold in blueberries, if you’re not gentle you’ll get blue tinted muffins! Pour into muffin tin sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or lined with muffin liners. Bake for 20 minutes or so, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, enjoy!

Recipe credit, hungry-girl! She’s the best.

IMG_2324

Check out how packed full of blueberries these muffins are! 

IMG_2326

No comments:

Post a Comment