Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bittman’s Spiced Coconut Pancakes

DSC06311What came to mind when I woke up this morning and there was snow on the ground (and still falling from the sky)?! Get me somewhere warm. Now. 

Well, it’s no surprise that that wasn’t going to happen. Not anytime soon anyway. Next best thing? Bringing a little taste of the tropics to me. Specifically in my kitchen.

DSC06302

Mark Bittman’s Spiced Coconut Pancakes with Tropical Fruit Bananas

adapted from Bon Appetit, January 2011

Ingredients:

  • 2.5 C WW Flour
  • 1 C unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 3/4 t. ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 t. ground allspice
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • 1 can light unsweetened coconut milk
  • 2 T pure Maple Syrup
  • 1 T vanilla extract
  • oil for cooking
  • additional maple syrup for topping
  • banana for topping, quartered and sliced
  • additional unsweetened shredded coconut for topping

Whisk dry ingredients together in one bowl. In another, whisk together the wet ingredients. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and whisk together until a pourable batter forms.

Heat griddle or skilled over medium heat, brush with oil (I used Canola). Add butter by 1/4 cupful. Cook until small bubbles appear on pancake surface then flip. Heat an addition 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

Top with bananas, coconut and maple syrup.

*Recipe yields about 20 pancakes, I halved it and it worked just fine. Also, Bittman suggests heating oven to 250 degrees and putting cooked pancakes in on a baking sheet to keep them warm, I did this but you can keep them warm anyway you wish.

DSC06327 These were absolutely divine. They were incredibly soft and fluffy and the shredded coconut inside gave them great texture. The original recipe calls for a medley topping of banana, pineapple and mango but I forgot to buy the latter ingredients and honestly, I can’t say I missed them.

I can already tell that there will be many more days I’ll be starting with these babies!

I'm submitting this recipe to Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop Volume 3! hosted by girlichef.

8 comments:

  1. No doubt about it, coconut definitely evokes thoughts and tastes of the tropics. I definitely have to give these a try - they look like the perfect way to start the day, though in truth I wouldn't mind eating them any time of day. Thanks so much for sharing these with Tackling Bittman.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. GOODNESS. These sound fantastic! Just what I need to thaw me out in the midst of the three feet of snowed piled outside my window. I'll definitely be trying these soon. I'm so glad that you shared them with Tackling Bittman this month...and good luck w/ the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw these in the 'zine and wondered how they were. i'll definitely give them a shot now!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am DROOLING OVER MY KEYBOARD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh I wish I was starting out the weekend with a stack of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shannon! I would like to personally welcome you to the Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop! I am now following your blog and your tweets. By the way, I adore Boston and spend as much time there as I possibly can! Go Sox! I really enjoy all things Bittman and I have dived into his pancake section with abandon in the past, but I have never made this variation. Since I have a three day weekend and a ton of coconut on hand as always, I will get my kids to try these one morning soon! I hope you get a chance to come visit me at A Moderate Life soon! All the best! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful pancakes! I was thinking about pancakes but wanted to make a new kind and here it is, waiting for me.

    Thanks for linking this Tackling Bittman since now I have a new recipe to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What yummy pancakes!

    Thanks for sharing with the Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop!

    Dr. Laura

    ReplyDelete